Thursday, March 11, 2010

Pink Clouds and Funny Fruits

"I'd like to just get one of those pink clouds and put you in it and push you around."

My students are ooo-ing and aww-ing their way through chapters five, six, and seven of The Great Gatsby. After reading and LOVING Of Mice and Men they moaned, "Miss Allen, why do you like this book? It's not half as good as Of Mice and Men!" I know it's rough having to read four chapters about characteres that seemingly aren't connected, but I promised they would like it, and Fitzgerald is finally delivering.

While the kids are busy uncovering the details of the unfolding love triangle and the surprising and tragic death of one character, I'm busy reveling in the beauty of Fitzgerald's language. Character Jordan Baker says in chapter seven, "I love New York on summer afternoons when every one's away. There's something very sensuous about it - overripe, as if all sorts of funny fruits were going to fall into your hands." It makes me long for my own version of sensuous summer afternoons in southern California when a quiet nap in the sun feels like a dip into a pool of well earned happiness and relaxation. Oh, how I long.

1 comment: